Crosschain Communications refers to the transferring of information between one or more blockchains. Crosschain Communications comes in many forms:
- Swapping of assets across blockchains using Hash Time Locked Contracts (HTLC)
- Reading a value from one blockchain on another blockchain.
- Executing a transaction on one blockchain given a transaction has been shown to have occurred on another blockchain.
- Atomically updating values across two blockchains. That is applying updates to both blockchains if transactions on blockchains succeed, and discarding updates on both blockchains if either transaction fails.
- Executing arbitrary call graphs of function calls across blockchains and applying updates across blockchains atomically.